Bad University. Good course.

Hoofs

Yazoo, you are coming across a lil bit hostile in your arguments, and there is absolutely no need for it. You too are making the same point again and again. And I was discussing how universities measure intelligence because other people on this forum have been discussing it too. I was merely enquiring that since you apparently hold very little stock by grades, how you personally would measure intelligence when it comes to entrance to university.

Like Vicric says, bad grades if you are actually intelligent is often indicative of laziness which is not a desirable trait in a future student. "Getting a few A grades" as you put it may not mean a person will excel at university true, but it certainly shows the ability and motivation of a person, which is likely to make them a good candidate.

Don't get me wrong, I see your point. Just because you can get 5 As, doesnt mean you are a complete brainiac and will breeze university. I accept that some people "find their thing" later in life than others, but I believe (and this goes for many people I know) the lazy people tend to stay lazy and the people who are motivated enough to get on with things tend to be this way from the start. I'm not saying its impossible to change, but universities cant accept decently smart but lazy people in the hope that they will "find their thing" in the next few years. With no evidence to back this up, it simply makes no sense.

For every person with average grades who will soon find their stride and become brilliant, there is a person with average grades who will be content to coast by for the rest of their life.

yazoo

Sorry to say I have to agree with Hoofs here. Okay it may not indicate intelligence - but it at least indicates hard work and determination etc. Surely those are needed for university...

As you have said, bad grades don't necessarily mean you're unintelligent. But bad grades whilst you are intelligent means you're just downright lazy. And yep the brightest people are usually bored and unmotivated until they find their thing... there isn't that many Bill Gates in the world :cool:
So you're actually agreeing with my argument! But you agree with Hoofs philosophy on "quality of university". Just so that we are clear on this.

yazoo

I think it offensive to post about Aberdeen's students in this way on the Aberdeen forum. Sorry if you don't recognise this, but I'd call it bad manners.

Edit- that's directed at Hoofs who finds me offensive too :)

ruridh17

You also have to remember that bad grades mean you didnt have a good day, on the day. the person may be very intelligent but have a bad day. something which we have all had.

anyways, why is everything based on qualifications these days? so what if you have 'rubbish grades'.

I commend the people who dont necessarily have good grades but go on to become people like plumbers or joiners. we do need these people afterall.

and also, i wonder how many of todays entrepreneurs have got good grades? Alan sugar and richard branson certainly didnt, and they are more successful than most of us ever will be.

Gizmo says -

That isn't necessarily a good thing. A lot of people would view education as being very important. And like Beaux, many people want to be in an environment where education and studying hard is regarded highly.
i would EVERY time be in an environment where ability in careers are regarded ighly, rather than being stuck in your classroom philosophy.

The doctors who spend the most time studying are generally the doctors who let us down on wards most. Studying and working towards career abilities is the aim for grown ups, which you aint got to yet, 'ence your classrooom stance-

Obviously, further education potentially leads to greater success career wise.
which could come straight outa secondary skool teachers mouth, its that basic.

It's one thing to be hindered by external issues but its totally different when you choose to not put importance into A-levels to do something else.
why would external issues 'inder you? i am telling you that they will get you ahead much of the time.

i fink once you get out of the classroom bubble then you might start seeing fingsd as a grown up.

Obviously, i'm not saying that grades are not important in your education, though, but life isnt simple trade off between education and extracurricular activity.

Gizmo says -

[quot]I believe (and this goes for many people I know) the lazy people tend to stay lazy and the people who are motivated enough to get on with things tend to be this way from the start. I'm not saying its impossible to change, but universities cant accept decently smart but lazy people in the hope that they will "find their thing" in the next few years. With no evidence to back this up, it simply makes no sense.
.[/QUOTE] so you are God as well as running admissions to now then?

it might become apparent to you that you cant compartmentalise peeple and their lives like that, much less university admissions policies.

Hoofs

I have not once said on this thread that Aberdeen is a bad University or that Aberdeen students are less able than any other students. In fact most of my posts have digressed completely from the original conversation about Aberdeen and have made no mention of it.
But fair enough, I apologise sincerely if I offended anyone.
I think perhaps this argument can be put to rest as we obviously disagree.

Gizmo says -

You also have to remember that bad grades mean you didnt have a good day, on the day. the person may be very intelligent but have a bad day. something which we have all had.

anyways, why is everything based on qualifications these days? so what if you have 'rubbish grades'.

I commend the people who dont necessarily have good grades but go on to become people like plumbers or joiners. we do need these people afterall.

and also, i wonder how many of todays entrepreneurs have got good grades? Alan sugar and richard branson certainly didnt, and they are more successful than most of us ever will be.
well said, Rudhiy.

i've always noticed you post wif an intelligence beyond your years and peers.

AbdnGradPL

yazoo - thanks for posting that, probably the most sensible point made in this extremely popular thread since its beginning :)

The logic in some places seemed to go:
bad A-levels = lazy (but intelligent)
Abdn has low requirements, hence they'll (mostly) accept lazy students

Therefore:
Stydying at Abdn = (majority) lazy and is likely to stay this way

quite.... :]

ruridh17

well thank you.

also, congraulations you have added a whole new dimension to people getting my name wrong. i was bored with all the same incorrect spellings all the time.

i might write a book one day with all the different spellingsi have.

more to the point, i am shocked at how shallow some people are in this day and age. i hope they dont carry this forward into their medical career where they will treat nurses, or physios with less respect, just because they dont have as 'good grades'

Hoofs

more to the point, i am shocked at how shallow some people are in this day and age. i hope they dont carry this forward into their medical career where they will treat nurses, or physios with less respect, just because they dont have as 'good grades'
Is that directed at me? I have never once said that people with lower grades than me are beneath me or that I am better than them, nor have I alluded to it.

Hoofs

Im not sure I understand quite what you mean? I wasn't referring to people who apply to Aberdeen as having lower grades?

ruridh17

No hoofs i am not directing that at you. I was directing it at todays young doctors in general. I have heard several stories from current medical studnets who have said that some of their contempories show a complete disregard towards anyone who is not as 'qualified' as they.

how am i doing myself, or them infact a disservice. by putting good grades into inverted commas i am clearly showing that that is not my view. it is a view which some people may have towards a nurse, simply because they are a nurse.

i myself have the greatest regard to anyone who studies anything. they oobviously show a commitment to it and contribute to a team which without them wouldnt work.

Hoofs

Ah sorry ruridh17, I thought you were having a dig! Apologies for the slightly biting reply! I agree with your last paragraph completely.

yazoo

And good luck to ruridh17 (I copied it so to get the sp correct) who seems like one of life's nice guys :)

AbdnGradPL

Yeah, rudidh17, if you've presented those views to the interviewer's panel it'd be a great loss if they haven't accepted you. That's what Abdn Med is looking for anyway (most unis are, probably) - a 'people's' person and a teamworker. So good luck x2

Gizmo says -

well thank you.

also, congraulations you have added a whole new dimension to people getting my name wrong. i was bored with all the same incorrect spellings all the time.

i might write a book one day with all the different spellingsi have.
ahhhh, Rudhriy, it would be a long book and all. At least longer than 'The Wit and Wisdom of George Bushie'.

But sorri macca sorri. yet look on the brite side - at least they 'ave got your sexiness right. fink of poor Singhy.Simran.. :(

AbdnGradPL

Yeah, rudidh17
Damnit! I was sure I got it right but it seems not :p Sorry, ruridh17 ;) BTW, Tess_Ticles had some gender-indentification errors coming from various folks, including me, just because of the tiny little underscore :D

Last edited: