1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Average age of mbbs4 students?

Discussion in 'St George's, University of London' started by Wishiwasadr, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Wishiwasadr

Wishiwasadr New Member

Hi,

First post here but been a long time lurker. Basically, I have an interview at SGUL but I'm just wondering what the average age of the GEM students were at SGUL? I'm a younger grad and I'm worried this might put me at a disadvantage, especially with the work experience scoresheet giving 5/5 to those who have more than two years of healthcare experience.

Being quite a fresh grad (within last two years), I certainly don't have this and am wondering how detrimental this could be?

Thanks!

2. ceih

ceih New Member

I think we all feel about a million years old.

Age varies. We have those who are fresh out of university at 21/22, and those in their 40s. There's probably a peak in the mid-late 20s, but I'm only guestimating. Whilst you're right, length of experience is important at interview, you can still gain enough whilst doing another degree to get you through. Work experience is also only one aspect of the interview, and hence not the only thing deciding who comes to SGUL!

3. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I've noticed there also seems to also be a second slightly smaller peak about 37/38, but that's a guestimate, not a scientific analysis...

4. Wishiwasadr

Wishiwasadr New Member

Thanks, both, for replying. I only decided to do medicine in my final year at university and so, I don't have the two years or more of healthcare experience. I am hoping to start a job in that sector in the next month or so though - but I have other experience which will hopefully count.

A guestimate is fine - I wasn't expecting actual figures or anything. Would you say there were more or less on the lower end of the age spectrum (i.e. early - mid twenties) than expected (not the best word to use, but my mind has gone blank right now)? And if you had to use guestimation, what proportion of students were in the twenties, thirties and forties age groups in your year? Just curious really.

Maybe I'm focussing too much on the work experience side of things, but with SGUL my first choice by a country mile (due to my location, the sound of the course and from a financial point of view), I am a bit worried!

5. sehs527

sehs527 New Member

Just try and score the top marks on the scoresheet for your situation. You cant do any more now and they'll be plenty of other candidates like you.

When is your interview?

6. ceih

ceih New Member

I think it was roughly in line with what I expected - a number straight from university, a cluster around those who have worked for 3+ years, and then the other peak, as Martigan says, in the late 30s. As for percentages, I'm going to wing it and say 60% in the 20s, 30% in the 30s and 10% in the 40s. However, I believe this is going to reflect the ages of those applying, rather than SGUL actively recruiting to a quota (in fact, I know this doesn't happen) for each age group.

Basically, don't worry. Work experience is one aspect of the interview and you don't need to score 5/5 in everything.