1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Applying to 5 year course as a second degree how will you afford it?

Discussion in 'Mature Students' started by wishful, Oct 6, 2011.

1. wishful

wishful New Member

Hi guys,
    I'm pretty new here but have been a resident stalker of the forums for a while!
    I'm just wondering those of you who are applying to the 5 year courses how you plan to afford the tuition fees and how to live without part time work impinging your studies?
    I have applied to two 4 year and 2 two 5 year and am praying that some sort of financial assistance comes along.

any other thoughts?! and good luck to everyone!

2. Profanius

Profanius New Member

I'm selling my house to go back to Uni. With a bit of luck the profits will pay for 4 years of tuition fees, leaving me the loans and any wages from part-time work to live on. Obviously I would rather not hand-over my life's savings... but if you want to live the dream...

Whether part-time work impinges on your studies depends on how productive you are in your spare time. I've been working and studying for a combined 80 hours a week for the past 2 years, so I don't see it being a problem.

I would be careful about five year courses if you don't have the funding. I'd imagine one of the biggest questions at interview this year will be how can you afford your studies. The worst case scenario would be starting a medicine degree and having to leave half way thorugh due to lack of tuition fees.

Fingers crossed you get on your 4 year options.

3. CMash

CMash New Member

Hey,
    I extracted this from the below website:
    Students on university courses in medicine (recognised by the General Medical Council) may be eligible for financial help from the NHS as part of their course.

If you are accepted onto approved courses, you might be eligible to receive financial support from the NHS. The timing of when this is provided depends on the type of course you are doing.

1) Funding for undergraduate students on standard five-year courses

Gaining admission to the standard five-year courses means you are entitled to receive student loans from Student Finance England for maintenance and tuition fees in the first four years.

From year five onwards, tuition fees will be paid by the NHS Student Bursary Scheme and you will be eligible to apply for a means-tested NHS bursary to cover maintenance costs and a reduced maintenance loan from Student Finance England (equivalent to approximately half the full rate).

These funding arrangements will continue to apply if you are starting your studies in academic years 2011/12 and 2012/13 (universities can charge up to a maximum of £9,000 in tuition fees in 2012/13).

These arrangements will also apply if you are already a graduate and applying for a five year course.

2) Funding for graduates on accelerated courses in academic years 2011/12 and 2012/13.

If you are a graduate medical student on an accelerated (four year) course in the academic year 2011/12, you are eligible to apply to Student Finance England for a full maintenance loan in your first year. You will also be expected to self-fund your tuition costs.

In the next four years of your course, you can apply to the NHS Student Bursaries Unit for a means-tested NHS bursary to cover maintenance costs. Tuition fees are also paid by the NHS Bursary Scheme for this period and students can apply for a reduced maintenance loan from Student Finance England.

If you are starting your course in the academic year 2012/13, you will have to self fund the first £3,375 of your tuition fees in the first year. In later years, the NHS Bursary scheme will pay £3,375 towards your tuition. Throughout the course, a Student Loan Company loan will be available to cover the difference between £3,375 and the tuition charges of their universities, to a maximum charge of £9,000.

Financial support for students on degree courses in medicine - NHS Careers

I then rang SFE to confirm these details and this is what they had to say:
    'Medicine is an exceptional course and the same rule for student finance therefore do not apply. Although they expect graduates to study on the 4 year course, they understand that is extremely competitive and therefore they will provide tuition fee support to all graduate medical students studying on the 4 year course or the 5 year course.'

Although they didn't say whether or not we would be expected to pay something towards the tuition fees as you have to in the first year of the 4 year course (e.g. £3000 ish), but the mere fact that they will provide some kind of support is some kind of comfort and enough for me at least to feel comfortable in applying for a mix of 4 and 5 year courses

I hope this makes choosing a bit easier for me, it has helped to relieve my worries a little but has made deciding which courses to apply for a bloody nightmare!

4. snakefisch

snakefisch New Member

Yup I'm selling my flat too, but that's to pay for the 4 year living costs... LOL

CMash, not sure about your post, but there's definitely no tuition cover for the first 4 years of the 5 year course..
    Usually SFE are wrong anyway!

5. GIJane

GIJane New Member

I wish we knew for sure! I only hope CMash is correct!!! Any help towards a 5yr course would be better than nothing. I believe we can get a maintenance loan towards living costs? Is there anything that could stop us using those towards tuition fees? are they paid in installments?

I have money in our house that we could free up but even that wouldnt cover 4 out of 5 yrs at Uni!!

Ive looked at career development loans too but the max you can borrow is £10k.

Its all so confusing!

6. wishful

wishful New Member

Professional development loans cannot be used by medical students - the banks withdrew this from what i can remember over a year or so ago.

I applied for two 5 year because I would kick myself if the financial support changed and I didn't apply. The four year course, I believe, is going to be ridiculously competitive this year and I wouldn't say my ukcat is on par with most candidates - after all they need to select out of the many very apt and qualified candidates (I hated that exam!)

My gran is sat on quite a bit of money however I am hoping with savings and the maintenance loan given, plus working part time during study I may be able to get by, I hate borrowing money!

Suppose it's now a waiting game - application sent!

7. ryujin

ryujin New Member

Well I was (and still am) VERY cheap with my spending! As a result, over the past 3 years i've managed to save £20k (well, it should be that much by the end of my last loan payment!) from my maitenence loan, bursary and grant, which although not enough to pay off the entire fee, should pay for 2 years! and for years 3-4 I'm probably going to have to borrow (yes borrow, my family doesn't believe in giving money for free- we're not particularlly rich) money from my parents/relatives family friends etc. and if need be, take out a bank loan.... (worse case scenario!)

Thank god I did decide to save my money up though! I didn't actually decide to apply to medicine until halfway through my 2nd year at uni! That money was originally going to go towards a house though! Looks like thats going to have to wait a while!

8. brokenangel

brokenangel New Member

Hopefully if i dont get a 4yr offer this year, my buisness will be profitable enough to pay my fees on a 5yr course however this means Newcastle/Durham will be my only option as I would be forced to continue running the buisness :)

Someone I know parents will be extending their mortagage to pay her feee if she gets a 5yr offer.

TBH if i worked for a year and saved around 9k I could then earn the rest on a year by year basis working around 16hrs a week :)

9. J87

J87 New Member

I'll probably have to work Saturdays and Sundays... And over the summer. Subject to availability, of course...

10. Kaiser Wilhelm

Kaiser Wilhelm New Member

If I get a place, my main earners/savers will be:

- Live at home
    - Career development loan for 10k a year
    - Work bank HCA shifts during the holidays/weekends
    - Working 12 hour shifts 6 days a week as an HCA at the moment to save up
    - Turn to crime if that doesn't work out

11. snakefisch

snakefisch New Member

Kaiser, I don't believe you can take out a career development loan for just one year. Also I believe you have to pay it back as soon as you have finished drawing on it. Just a point to note as I did a lot of research on it a while back and ruled it out as a source of funding for 4/5 yr degrees.
    And good luck you're applying to a couple of schools I am!

12. Kaiser Wilhelm

Kaiser Wilhelm New Member

Hi snakefisch,

Thanks for the tip-off, I didn't know that about career development loans.

I've heard quite a bit from the open days that there are other sources of funding from the unis themselves, especially if you're on a low income and have been living independently for 3+years (which I'd qualify for in 2013 if I re-apply but not in 2012). I'm going to do more research on this if and when I get an interview/offer as I'm sure it could be an interview question!

Good luck to you too, same courses and similar UKCAT (hats off yours is 12 points higher though).

13. kurd.balla.3

kurd.balla.3 New Member

I called SFE too and they said the same thing to me. Everyone is saying that they commonly make mistakes, but the guy I was speaking to seemed to be getting his answers from someone senior to him and said that this was because Medicine is a professional course leading to a professional career, and that an MBBS is a higher degree than a BSc. Either way, I really hope the link that CMash posted was correct when it said "These arrangements will also apply if you are already a graduate and applying for a five year course."

By the way, anyone think I'm crazy for applying to universities that are asking for a minimum 2:1 when my predicted grade is 2:2?

14. Profanius

Profanius New Member

If you check the link again you'll see that they've updated the website. It now explicitly states that graduates on the 5 year degree are not eligible for tuition fee loans.

It doesn't matter what the SLC say over the phone or who says it. If it were true then why is that advice not available on their website or in any of their written information? If the SLC change their mind then they will recall the fees from the university and you won't be able to complete your degree - and legally you won't have a leg to stand on. IMHO it's best to play safe.

As for the 2:2 thing you're certainly not crazy. However, in an environment where there are approximately 5 or more candidates for every interview place (depending on Uni), and most of those will either have or be predicted the correct grade, it's unlikely you'll get an interview... but it doesn't hurt to try.

15. kurd.balla.3

kurd.balla.3 New Member

Is it bad that I'm seriously thinking about risking them recalling the fees?.... I actually have no other option for the 5 year courses.

2012 Graduate Applicant:
    SGUL (4 Year)
    Warwick (4 Year)
    KCL (5 Year)
    QMUL (5 Year)

Predicted:
    BSc Biomedical Science (2:2) (KCL)

UKCAT: 697.5
    VR 690 QR 670 AR 660 DA 770

16. Trip37

Trip37 New Member

I'm surprised they haven't sent an unsuccessful to you yet. To be honest you really should think twice before applying for a 5 year course if you can't afford it as there are numerous cases where this has happened and people were kicked out of med school.

17. kurd.balla.3

kurd.balla.3 New Member

Maybe it's a good sign that they haven't sent me an unsuccessful yet... When I applied the funding arrangements were still not clear. I'm still hoping that SFE wouldn't mind giving tuition fee loans to graduates on the 5 year course. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

2012 Graduate Applicant:
    SGUL (4 Year)
    Warwick (4 Year)
    KCL (5 Year)
    QMUL (5 Year)

Predicted:

18. ryujin

ryujin New Member

I don't think they have even looked at applciations yet....
    I applied to QMUL for dentistry (as a joke to use up the 5th choice!) and they haven't rejected me, well yes I meet the criterion, but my personal statement is incredibly medicine orientated

I think it is a bit silly to apply when you're predicted a 2:2... apart from SGUL
    All the other uni's you've applied to ask for 2:1 minimum don't they? and they don't accept any lower...

19. kurd.balla.3

kurd.balla.3 New Member

Well, like Profanius said, it doesn't hurt to try. It is only a predicted after all, even if I got the 2:1 this year I would have applied for next year entry anyway, so I thought I might as well give it a go.

2012 Graduate Applicant:
    SGUL (4 Year)
    Warwick (4 Year)
    KCL (5 Year)
    QMUL (5 Year)

Predicted:

20. ryujin

ryujin New Member

yes but don't the unis say that their minimum is a 2:1? I always thoguht their grade requirement was similar to ukcat cutoffs...