1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Applying for Medicine as a Biomedical Sciences graduate

Discussion in 'Access to Medicine' started by Claudiaow, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Claudiaow

Claudiaow New Member

Hi,
    I'm about to start third year of Biomedical Sciences and I'm trying to figure out whether to continue with this career or apply for medicine.
    I was wondering if anyone who has studied Medicine after graduating from Biomed could help me with a few things.

Tuition Fees Loan: I've read on several websites about the NHS bursaries and the Student Finance Loans, I would like to know if anyone has applied for those and how difficult it is to get them.

University Options Reccomendations: I was wondering if you would recommend applying for some specific universities according to the number of places they offer, admission requirements etc.

5 or 4 years course: I've read that most of you recommend applying for both 4 and 5 years course. Is the GEM admission really that competitive?

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Im not completely up to date, but as a second degree you don't get funding.

It's its a standard 5-year course, I don't think you can get a fee lone anymore. So that's £45k you need to find... You can get a maintainance loan.

For the 4-year, you will need to fund your fees through the first year. You can also get a Maintenance loan for living costs. For years 2-4 the NHS pays the first 3k of the fees and you get a fee loan for the rest. You can get an NHS bursary for living costs (about 6k) and a maintenance loan of about 3k.

Before the new funding came in, there were about 5 applications for every 5-year place, and an average of 30 for every 4-year place. With the new funding system, I imagine that it's got more competitive for the 4 year slots. Especially since there are less 4-year places now.

If anyone else wants to chip in / correct me, please do. I'm too long out of the application process to but 100% current on the details.