Applicants 2011?

Discussion in 'Brighton and Sussex Medical School' started by lexipower, Sep 28, 2010.

1. lexipower

lexipower New Member

Hi!
    I was just wondering if anyone's applying to BSMS for 2011 entry? Every med school on here seems to have one of these threads so I thought I'd start one :)

2. Ryan118120

Ryan118120 New Member

Wooooo i am. Good luck!

3. Dr Abbas (i wish)

Dr Abbas (i wish) New Member

4. Ryan118120

Ryan118120 New Member

Hey, just though i would let you know I applied last year to queens mary with a UKCAT of 650 and I was rejected because I didnt get the cut off which was 665, so be careful about that choice!

Ryan

5. *sigh*

*sigh* New Member

Hey guys :D, I'm considering applying to BSMS!

Anyone know how they rank academics as i'm not sure I stand a chance with the following academics: GCSE's 5A's 5B's
    A2 Levels AAA (bio, chem, maths)
    UKCAT avg 682.5

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! :)

6. Ryan118120

Ryan118120 New Member

BSMS look at ur latest grades, which u got AAA so that should make up for ur GCSEs and ur UKCAT is really good! So u should stand a good chance as long as ur PS and work experience is good!

7. lexipower

lexipower New Member

they look at your latest grades? so does that mean they wont look at my gcses? nooo lol

8. Ryan118120

Ryan118120 New Member

In ur case it won't make any difference because u have great GCSEs and Alevels, BSMS say that they recognise late developers and that good AS and Alevels will make up for moderate GCSEs, but if u have good GCSEs they r also beneficial and also a good UKCAT can help defferentiate between applications, I don't think u have anything to worry about as ur grades are amazing! Just make sure u have a good PS and good work experience as I wa told they go heavily on that component as well, best of luck!

9. lexipower

lexipower New Member

oh ok, good good! i think my personal statement/work experience is alright, im just being overly fussy about it cos i got rejected last year lol
    will my ukcat be a disadvantage then as its only just above average?

10. Ryan118120

Ryan118120 New Member

I'm in the same situation, I couldn't decide so I was like wat the heck I will just go for the ones I want, I don't think u will be at a disadvantage as urbother grades r so good.

11. Basinboy

Basinboy New Member

Im applying to BSMS. Did alright in my UKCAT but im not applying to anywhere where they have said that the score is important. I just think some uni's are accepting a wide range of UKCAT scores then seeing does it really matter about the scores. Im also wondering if what you put your parents jobs as influences the scores. Last year I withheld the information but this year I put it in and my scores went up considerably.

12. *sigh*

*sigh* New Member

Cheers for the response Ryan :),

I rang them up last week and they said that all they really care about is Alevel grades AAA/A*AB and a B in gcse english. Also 50% of the selection process is based on work experience/voluntary work as you correctly said (about PS) so I guess i need to make my personal statement great! lol Anyway, best of luck and hopefully we get in this year!

13. *sigh*

*sigh* New Member

I don't think it does. :confused:

14. lexipower

lexipower New Member

hey Basinboy :D well done with the ukcat - what did you get?
    lol i can see by the comment about parents jobs that you have a lot of faith in the marking of the test x

15. Basinboy

Basinboy New Member

VR: 690
    QR: 740
    AR: 580
    DA: 620

My DA is down from 680. But my scores for VR and QR shot up (last year VR was 540 and QR 620). AR only went up a little but i guessed all of the shapes. I dont trust the test because if it was a true test of aptitude then surely the scores should stay the same every year. I was doing revision every other day before I got a full time job three weeks ago, but I didnt do any till about three days before the test.

16. lexipower

lexipower New Member

yeah i completely agree, my DA went down from 700 to 630 - i swear my ability with it hasnt changed.
    my VR and QR also got better than last year, this seems to be the same with all my friends who are applying too. very weird
    well done with your score :D

17. Dr Abbas (i wish)

Dr Abbas (i wish) New Member

Hi,

at BSMS, they give 15 points for academics, and 15 for non academics
    and you need to get 25 + for an interview

obv, the non academics would be very subjective, assessing commitment, WE, etc

but surely the academics is subjective, and i was wondering do people know how points are allocated in this section? is it no. of A* at GCSEs, A2 predictions, or AS results?

18. Jenny22

Jenny22 New Member

I am applying :)

19. Yellowmonkeyman

Yellowmonkeyman New Member

I'm applying here as well :).

20. Yellowmonkeyman

Yellowmonkeyman New Member

Interview

Heya, BSMS are giving out interviews.. I just thought everyone would like to know :).