anyone hoping to get into glasgow with an access course ??

Discussion in 'Glasgow Medical School' started by lucy_smith, Jan 9, 2013.

1. lucy_smith

lucy_smith New Member

Im hoping to do an access course this year, but would like to know if any of you going to glasgow got in by the access course ? and which access course did you do??

2. Zedd

Zedd Member

Stow Courses | Access to Medical Studies (SWAP)

It's accepted by both the University of Glasgow and the University of Aberdeen, I doubt it's accepted anywhere else though (Dundee having a pre-med option; Edinburgh being Edinburgh; and St. Andrews having its own Pathway to Medicine via Perth College). Just bear in mind that doing well in this course isn't enough: you will still have to score highly on the UKCAT, personal statement, and extra curricular to get an interview and offer. I seem to remember someone that was on here did the Stow course only to score low-average on the UKCAT and in doing so they didn't receive an invite to interview. Also, these courses tend to only be acceptable iff you are a 'mature' student, i.e., 21 years old or over.

3. lucy_smith

lucy_smith New Member

What exactly is the ukcat? I know its like a test, but what does it contain? And what do you mean by extra curricular? I will be willing to do anything and everything I can to better my chances ! :)

4. Zedd

Zedd Member

: UKCAT

Extra curricular as in... extra curricular! So hobbies, pastimes, et cetera, that will help to show the university that you'll be an active member of its societies et cetera.

5. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator