Anyone at BSMS after doing the Sussex Downs Access Course?

Discussion in 'Brighton and Sussex Medical School' started by NicMedical, Apr 29, 2011.

1. NicMedical

NicMedical New Member

Hello,

I'm just wondering if there is anyone who completed the Sussex Downs Access to Medicine course who will be going or is already at BSMS due to a linked place?

I'd really like to know what kind of grades and work experience you had for them to offer you the linked place, or what the general census was of the rest of your cohort who got linked places were.

Thank you in advance!! :)

xxxx

2. SlightlyStoopid

Hey there!

Sorry - only just saw this thread (don't check this website that often anymore!).

If you have any questions about SD or BSMS let me know - I went through the course and it was lifechanging!

Oh, and I am in BSMS!

3. Rueben Elmer

Rueben Elmer New Member

Hello!

I have two primary questions regarding BSMS Access. I was wondering what the difficulty is of the 1 year Access Course. How challenging is this? And secondly, What are the prospects of getting into BSMS afterwards? The website seems quite noncommittal about guaranteeing places or suchlike.

Thanks in anticipation of your support!

4. SlightlyStoopid

It's around A-level difficulty I would say - lots of different subjects and a great foundation for University.

The prospects of getting into BSMS and other medical schools is very good - I think it's actually the highest success rate out of any Access course, but there are no guarantees of course! They are just very good at helping you and your application.

If you have any other questions, let me know!

Good luck!

5. Rueben Elmer

Rueben Elmer New Member

Thanks for your response.

I do have two further questions that perhaps you could help with.

Did you have medical experience before your application to SD? They (rightly) seem to take this quite seriously and I was wondering how much of a barrier this is.

Secondly, how did you find the entrance exams for the SD course? How challenging were they? And do they test basic cognitive abilities, or do they assume scientific knowledge etc?

Thanks again, I appreciate your support!

6. SlightlyStoopid

I did have some experience - shadowing doctors in a few departments and some volunteer work with a GP. It's very important to get some, doesn't have to be a lot but you need to show that you know what it's like to be a doctor and some of the work that they do. If you can't get medical experience then any caring experience is good.

The entrance exams are challenging, as they should be - they test a range of aspects but they are not intimidating. Try and enjoy it - you'll do better if you are relaxed!

Good luck!