Any disadvantage to not expressing a college choice?

Discussion in 'Oxford Medical School' started by rennstimpy, Oct 3, 2011.

1. rennstimpy

rennstimpy New Member

Hi guys

I'm planning to apply to medschool this year for 2012 entry. Oxford is one of my chosen unis and I was wondering if anyone really knows whether making an open application (as opposed to expressing a college preference) gives you a disadvantage? Of course the uni says no but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts. Ultimately I couldn't care less which college - it's the course that attracts me and partic as a grad-entrant I can't imagine it makes an iota of difference in most respects?

Ta for any advice

2. django

django Member

As far as I can make out, from listening to Ox podcasts etc, there is no statistical advantage or disadvantage to making open appplications. If you apply to a college that fills up, you are simply passed on. So, not to worry! And with making an open application, noone will know, as you are randomly assigned colleges, and they will not know whether your application was open or not.

3. irumis

irumis New Member

Hey,
    I've been told that they don't mind whether you decide to put through an open application or not :)
    By the way, saw your university offers, well done! I've noticed you've only picked one UKCAT university, would you mind telling me your result in it? Just I've got my exam soon and I'm worried I'll do badly and won't get in anywhere, haha :)