Anatomy lectures and GEP

Discussion in 'Swansea Medical School' started by niccybird, Oct 12, 2009.

1. niccybird

niccybird New Member

I know it's a bit last minute but I want to ask anyone about the anatomy lectures, especially the practical sessions? Any dissections? Is it guided or is it mainly self-taught?

Any opinions would be much appreciated!

Nic

2. Fizzwizz

Fizzwizz Technical Administrator

No dissection. Swansea uses ready dissected body parts, complex models, and IT media. Anatomy is taught in lab based lessons and self directed learning exercises. Swansea has a dedicated "Anatomy Suite" which is full of excellent models and learning aids which students can access with their key card. The anatomy suite is often used by students as a study area, or for computer access. Much facebooking occurs there!

3. pipedreamer

pipedreamer New Member

Anatomy is mainly small group work. Each week has a topic and you rotate around a number of teaching stations in small groups. Usually lecturers will teach you basic anatomy, radiologist will teach you how that anatomy looks on scans, surgeon will teach you how that anatomy is relevant in clinical practice etc. It's very interactive and, as Fizz says, uses predissected specimens (prosections), models, radiological films etc. There are some self-directed elements but the majority is structured teaching.

The facilities for anatomy at Swansea are very good and the lecturers are extremely keen, even going so far as to produce free podcasts to help students with revision. Don't be put off by the lack of dissection: a number of my colleagues did dissection-based courses and from what they've said I don't think I missed out at all.

4. ron_swanson

ron_swanson New Member

Can a current swansea student confirm whether the above is the true please?

5. Tigerlily_

Tigerlily_ New Member

Yup, all true :)