Am I unlikely to get an interview with these scores?

Discussion in 'Leicester Medical School' started by eleanor_rigby, Jun 2, 2014.

1. eleanor_rigby

eleanor_rigby New Member

Hi there,

I have read the scoring of applications for GEM applicants for 2014. I am worried there is no point for me to apply or even sit the UKCAT because of my poor scores:

I got 10 GCSE's, 5 Bs and 5 Cs (English Lit&Lang and Maths = B, Science =CC). This gives me a score of 0 for section 1.1.

For my A Levels I did all arts subjects and scored ABB, which gives me a score of 3 for section 1.2.0.

For my degree I did a BSc in Psychology and got a 2.1. I don't know if they count this subject as a science or not. I also have an MSc in Health Psychology but it doesn't seem to take this into account anywhere. I would therefore either score 4 or 2 in section 1.3 (depending on whether they view Psychology as a science subject).

I have 3 years of paid experience as a healthcare assistant and research assistant but they don't appear to score this in the preliminary stages.

I haven't sat the UKCAT yet and I am wondering is there any point? Even if I scored top marks of 10 in the UKCAT section I would still only have a score of 17/25... or possibly 15/25 depending on how they score my degree. Also there's no way I will score 10/10 for the UKCAT... Am I wasting my time? They won't even read my personal statement with these scores I am guessing??

2. NeoJazz

NeoJazz New Member

It's best to sit the UKCAT first and then to apply accordingly.

Is Leicester your only option? Kings, Warwick?

Also have you considered the GAMSAT?

I scored 17/25 and was not offered an interview.
    You'll need a 750 ukcat to stand any chance of an interview.

3. eleanor_rigby

eleanor_rigby New Member

Thanks for your reply. I am sure Kings would not consider me. I was looking at Newcastle would I stand much chance with them? I haven't looked at Warwick I thought they wouldn't accept me either.

I sat the GAMSAT but was drastically let down by the science section. I think I would have to take biology and chemistry A Levels to have any kind of shot at it.

4. NeoJazz

NeoJazz New Member

Kings and Warwick consider all degrees, just make sure you score high in the UKCAT.

I'm not too sure about Newcastle.