1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I in deep water with my grades?

Discussion in 'Scottish Highers' started by DrLemon, May 16, 2010.

1. DrLemon

DrLemon New Member

Hello all.

My Higher results were AAABB with no Chem/Biology. This was 2 years ago. Since then, I have just had various random jobs, nothing really health related. I want to do medicine. For a long time I had no idea what to do, but I think medicine would be good. I left school in S5.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I was thinking crash higher Chem and human biology at college and try and get A. During this, try and get loads and loads of work experience/work in health related places. Other idea was to do access to medicine, but I am only 20. I do not want to do a degree before medicine. I want to do medicine so why waste time, money and effort doing another degree when I know I want to the medicine degree.

2. TartanTottie

TartanTottie Member

From my experience medical schools tend to want an A in Chemistry at your first sitting, ie your AAABB must have included an A in higher Chemistry. Although i'm in my 4th year now so i'm not sure if their preferences have changed.

It's certainly possible to do what you said and get highers in Chem and Bio, however i think you need to be a bit more realistic. It will be incredibly challenging to crash higher Chem and Bio having had a 2 year break from studying, while also striving for the A grade. Not impossible of course, but I think you need to consider what this entails.

As for work experience, universities will quickly recognise if you've tried to rush it in the space of crashing 2 highers just for the sake of your application. It's by no means a disadvantage but if you are called to interview they might ask questions about this.

I know a couple of people who have done the access to medicine course and they didn't think it was a waste of time at all. In fact, they found that they were a bit more mature when they finished it and were fully prepared for starting the medical degree.

But anyway, that's just my take on your situation and anything you suggested is possible. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!;)

Allana