1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ADIVE? Should I drop higher art?

Discussion in 'Scottish Highers' started by hbanana, Mar 21, 2011.

1. hbanana

hbanana New Member

Hi- I need advice!

I've been offered 2 unconditionals to study medicine. At the moment I am studying AH chemistry and biology along with higher art and design and a community sports leadership award.

There's 2 weeks left till we will be finished with our art units and I have only just started my chemistry investigation (Mid March!) If I wasn't to do much for my art I would finish with a B. The problem is it's 5 hours a week I could be using more productively for my AH's which I want to do really well in.

I've been seriously thinking about dropping art. My reason for hesitating is because I'm wondering whether it will benefit me in the future when applying for jobs as a medical graduate!?!?!?!?

What is you're advice? Will a B in higher art put me about fellow medical graduates with just sciences etc? Will it reduce competition?

Thank you,
    A confused Hannah.

2. hbanana

hbanana New Member

sorry I meant 'abouve' fellow medical students. I know that recently there's been increased competition for FY places and some people have mentioned it may demonstrate how well rounded I am a a person. . . ?

3. Hilldo

Hilldo New Member

I think it'll depend. Saying that a Higher in a creative subject would put you above them might be a bit much - a higher is still an academic acheivement, after all. If you were to take your interest in art to university with you, though, maybe join a society or something, and make it something you do actively as an extra-curricular, I'd think it would be a definite edge. That said, you don't necessarily need the higher to do that. How are the other units of Chemistry going?

4. hbanana

hbanana New Member

I didn't literally mean would it put me above, but as you said, give me an edge. I would love to continue art at uni however I'm not concerned at all about having a higher qualification for that.
    As for chemistry- unit 3 is being very rushed and crammed in all at once into my little head! It's not too bad but the investigation is my priority at the moment.

Would your advice be to continue with it because it would benefit me in the future in regards to job applications & CV's etc?

5. Hilldo

Hilldo New Member

To be honest, no. As far as academic achievements go, they'll probably prefer an Advanced Higher to a Higher. And if you were thinking of art as something extra, you'd probably be better using it as an extra-curricular (so you wouldn't need to continue it just to get the edge it could give.)

6. hbanana

hbanana New Member

Thank you for your responses Hilldo.
    After a lot of advice seeking and pros and cons list-making I've decided to stick with it. I haven't got lonng left and I know I'll regret it if I give it up- i'm not that kind of person (normally!) We'll see what happens. Although, it's not high on my priority list and it's going to stay there so as not to get me stressed! lol.