1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ACCESS to medicine. Manchester College. 2012 entry...

Discussion in 'Access to Medicine' started by Qualityassured, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Qualityassured

Qualityassured New Member

hello people,

I recently applied for the access course at the Manchester College for 2012 entry.
    Recieved a letter this morning regarding an Initial assessment. Anyone alse got this yet?

2. TheTool

TheTool New Member

Can I just ask: is the access to medicine course helpful if you do not have any A Levels in Science? and do universities recognise them? Thanks

3. delta9

delta9 New Member

I had a letter yesterday morning regarding going to an initial assessment on the 14th feb

4. Qualityassured

access

ok, thats good. Are you coming all the way from portsmouth?
    Mines also on the 14th.

5. Qualityassured

6. delta9

delta9 New Member

Hi yes i am coming from portsmouth. I am going to travel up on monday and stay overnight in a travelodge as i want to be wide awake for the tests

7. Qualityassured

thats a good idea, how are you preparing for the english and maths test?

8. Qualityassured

you should have a look at this thread(http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/access-medicine/45630-mancat-mcr-access-medicine.html), page for page if you haven't already.
    From my current understanding, yes there are some universities that accept them, you will have to do some research as to wich. And yes I believe its really helpful as one of my family members was one of the first access to med students from the manchester college who got accepted into Manchester uni. However, this was almost 8-9 years ago. the access to med course covers the science A-levels so you do not need A-levels in science. What you do need is GCSE's in Maths and English at grade B, offcourse the higher the more chances you have being accepted.

9. Qualityassured

you should have a look at this thread(http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/access-medicine/45630-mancat-mcr-access-medicine.html), page for page if you haven't already.
    From my current understanding, yes there are some universities that accept them, you will have to do some research as to wich. And yes I believe its really helpful as one of my family members was one of the first access to med students from the manchester college who got accepted into Manchester uni. However, this was almost 8-9 years ago. the access to med course covers the science A-levels so you do not need A-levels in science. What you do need is GCSE's in Maths and English at grade B, offcourse the higher the more chances you have being accepted.

10. delta9

delta9 New Member

I have a number of gcse and a level revision books that i will be looking at. Have you applied to any other access to medicine courses?

11. Qualityassured

I've only applied to manchester as of yet, I am looking into other colleges, but i am limited finance wise. So, manchester would be ideal for me. Are you currently in the health profession or any sort?

12. delta9

delta9 New Member

I do one day a week as a volunter at my local hospital on a surgical ward. They have been really good as they know why i am there, i get to follow the doctors around on the ward rounds and have been allowed to help out doing various things on the ward. The experiance has been fantastic. I have recently started work as a carer to gain some more experiance as a lot of the colleges and university's like you to have hands on experience.

13. kenndelhannah

kenndelhannah New Member

Hello everyone,

I applied for the Manchester course about 4/5 weeks ago and received a letter of confirmation about 2 weeks ago but still no more info on my application :( how long ago did you guys apply?

14. Qualityassured

Hello,
    I applied on the 15th of November , received my confirmation around a week and a half later. Two weeks later I got a letter regarding the initial assessment.basically If I were you I would give it another week, if you don't get a reply give them a call. Could of been delayed due o holidays.

15. Qualityassured

Wow, thats great seems like you have good experience. I'm currently with the st Johns ambulance and I just completed a weeks shadowing programme in a gp surgery in London, it was awesome got to see a lot actually. You should try looking in to gp surgeries, but your right colleges and universities defenitly like you to have hands on experience. How did you manage to get the role in the surgery ward, sounds interesting.

16. kenndelhannah

kenndelhannah New Member

Ah ok thanks :)
    It took them a while to acknowledge my application so I'm assuming there's a backlog or something.

17. delta9

delta9 New Member

I applied in November to i think it took about 3 weeks to hear back.

18. delta9

delta9 New Member

I just rang up my local hospital and explained what i wanted to do and it went from there. You still have to have a crb check and references but they were all ok. If you want to try the same sort of thing i suggest just giving your local hospital a call. Are you worried about the test at all?

19. Qualityassured

thats a good idea i will give them a call asap.
    mmmmmm..... about the tests, to be honest I am kind of nervous, but if prepare good enough hopefully everything should go as planned.
    how about yourself?

20. delta9

delta9 New Member

Yes i am a little worried because i don't know exactly what is included in the test but i will really study for the maths.