1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Access to medical studies 2016 Stow College

Discussion in 'Access to Medicine' started by Megz91, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Megz91

Megz91 New Member

Hey,

Has anyone applied to the Access to medical studies at stow college? Applied before or completed the course? Any info would be great as there isn't a great deal to go on.

2. Princewill

Princewill Member

Hi Megz91

I have applied to CANDI, Lambeth College and Sussex Downs College. Have assessment for Lambeth next week 21st April, 11th May for CANDI & for Sussex down, they have acknowledged receipt of applications just waiting if they shortlist for the 2 days assessment on the 23rd and 24th May.
    Fingers crossedxxxxxx

3. Nataliej777

Nataliej777 New Member

Hi,

I applied in January this year. I've posted on here and other forums looking for others who have applied or have done the course but have had no replies as of yet.

I'm looking to progress on to medicine at Glasgow Uni.

Have you heard anything back from the college yet? I haven't had anything more than an acknowledgment email but applications don't close until the end of this month so I'm not expecting anything through for a while I guess.

:)

4. lisamarie

lisamarie New Member

Hi,

I applied in January. I was told that they won't start looking at applications until closing date for applications. Closing date was 30th April.

I hope my application is strong enough to at least receive an interview. I know they want the person who has some knowledge in biology/chemistry.

5. Nataliej777

Nataliej777 New Member

Did you do any science at school? I hope they don't take too long to look at applications as I need to give minimum 4 weeks notice to quit my job we also need to study for the UKCAT too.

6. lisamarie

lisamarie New Member

I done basic science in high school. Most recently done class in biology as I was lacking in the science side. Not done chemistry bit was told to look on bitesize and try that. I have done work experience in vet practices.

7. Nataliej777

Nataliej777 New Member

Bite size is good. I also bought standard grade and higher textbooks to go through as well. There's also a guy on YouTube called Tyler Dewitt who teaches chemistry, I definitely find his explanations helpful for calculations in Chemistry. You should check him out. :)

8. lisamarie

lisamarie New Member

Thanks and will do :)

Hopefully we all find out soon if we have got an interview. I applied in Jan when it first opened for applications and it feels like I have been waiting for ever.

Cardonald College are offering a similar course now. SWAP access to medical science's. I also applied for this one.

9. Nataliej777

Nataliej777 New Member

I saw the course at Cardonald and was going to apply too but I thought I would email Glasgow uni admissions just to be on the safe side as they don't mention Cardonald college on their website. Glasgow said they don't currently accept this course for medicine and it's only the Kelvin college one they accept at the moment. Cardonald college would have been much easier for me to get to so a bit gutted about that. I would check with the Vet admissions if they accept the course at Cardonald if I were you. Just to be on the safe side. I'm presuming it's Vet Med you're wanting to apply for?

10. lisamarie

lisamarie New Member

I received an email yesterday asking for copy of my personal statement. So they are definitely looking through the applications. I'm eager and nervous to find out if I will be lucky enough to get an interview. Fingers crossed ☺☺☺

11. lisamarie

lisamarie New Member

Yes. I really want to vet med. I'm obsessed lol.

12. Nataliej777

Nataliej777 New Member

I received the same email. I was a bit confused as I thought the personal statement was part of the application process but there wasn't enough words to write in the box on the application. I ended up changing mine before I sent it as I'd said I was goingabroad in March and was going to do some shadowing but obviously I've been and done that. Now I'm freaking out that I've sent a short pile of rubbish back to them! Argh!

13. lisamarie

lisamarie New Member

Same. I said to admissions I'm sure I added my personal statement. I told admission I don't have a copy but that I would just write it from scratch. I recently injured my eye, cornea abrasion. So with red swollen eye, light sensitive, I was struggling to look at bright screen and it was time consuming trying to write and try read it over. Not good when you have blurred vision due to eye drops lol. I hope my personal statement is strong enough.

I'm sure your personal statement is great. ☺

14. Nataliej777

Nataliej777 New Member

Oh no! That's such a shame. Fingers crossed we will hear something soon. It's a bit odd how there's nobody else replying as I've stalked these threads for about 3 years now waiting to apply and there was lots of people around before. I wanted to see if anyone from last years course was successful in progressing to uni but I can't find any threads in any forums.
    Sherlock Holmes I am not.. Lol

15. lisamarie

lisamarie New Member

True. I have seen some post of people asking for info and who else had applied in previous years. This year I can't find anything except from this post. Hopefully more people will start to comment.

16. Nataliej777

Nataliej777 New Member

Did you ask the Vet school if they would accept The course at Cardonald? Disappointed that Glasgow won't take it for medicine as it's literally a 10-15 minute drive from my house! Needs must though, considering I was at one point thinking it would be totally feasible for me to commute from Glasgow to St Andrews everyday... Springburn is only a stones throw away compared to St Andrews!

17. lisamarie

lisamarie New Member

I sent an email and waiting for reply.

I hope they do accept it as I would prefer to attend Glasgow Uni.

Have you heard anything back yet ? I'm hoping I get an interview. I have been checking my emails constantly lol

18. Nataliej777

Nataliej777 New Member

I've not heard anything yet. I don't expect we will hear anything for a good few weeks but my heart still skips a beat when I get an email. Lol.

19. lisamarie

lisamarie New Member

Hi.

According to Glasgow uni they don't accept medical science course. Only medical studies course.

Have you heard anything back yet ?

20. Nataliej777

Nataliej777 New Member

Nothing as yet unfortunately. I'm guessing it will take a while.
    I take it you're not going to go for the Clyde med science course then?