1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Access Course for Liverpool Med School

Discussion in 'Access to Medicine' started by stargazer, Jul 28, 2005.

1. stargazer

stargazer New Member

#1 stargazer, Jul 28, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  2. Tangliss

Tangliss Super Duper Moderator

I am going to put this as a sticky.

3. Anybody willing to give any feedback on this course - reputable ? etc

Cheers peeps :D

4. AmandaPollitt

AmandaPollitt New Member

I actualy go to St Martins at the moment and i have been to have a chat with a few tutors. I have been told that the course is for people who live LOCALY!! this course was set up to alow people from the north west to go to med school in the north west and then work in the north west. Anyway the course is 3 years (part time), and is only run full time if there are enough people wanting to do the course full time.

There is another course like this one run at lancaster Uni. Its first intake is this september, it only accepts 25 people on the course. You must be from the north west area (the are trying to increase dr retention in the north west). There are 10 linked places to Liverpool University. The course is run full time over one year. It is for people with non-standard qualifications. They have filled the course up for this year. You have to apply for the course via UCAS as it is held at a university. The course has the same modules as the first year of the Biomedical Sciences degree, therefore, if you do not gain a place at liverpool you can go straight into the 2nd year of the miomedical scicences degree at lancaster Uni, which would then alow you to apply for GEP. By the way i have been told by certain sources in the Uni (a couple of mates are lecturers there) that they are building a medschool at lancaster, in conjunction with UCLAN (University of Central Lancashire), which 'should' be up and running in 2008 (but possibly 2007), so there is always the option to do medicine there.

Please tell me if im any one has heard anything else about the lancaster med school.

5. Hirukshi

Hirukshi New Member

Advices to do Med or a4m

Dear Amanda,
    My AS Biology A Maths A Che A doing AL with three A’s with predicted. I have been turn down my 4 choices.
    Now I have applied to Lancaster A900 and waiting for interview also I have applied Kins Ly and waiting for interview. I need to do 1 year and go med. I got GCSE from my country and got 8 A 1B and 1 C . C for Science in my country we haven’t got A*. it mean A is equal to A*. one point is turn me down this. And the other point is I have got 18 units. Please advice me to do med. I really need to do med stat as soon as I can. I live in surrey. Can i apply Lancaster Uni to do pre med
    Any help will be really appreciated.
    Hiru

6. de la k

de la k New Member

surrey is not in the north west

7. Alex01

Alex01 New Member

University of Liverpool Foundation Year

Hi,

I just wanted to let everyone know about a great new foundation year that has started at The University of Liverpool. It is a six year programme leading to an MBChB.

Details of the course can be found on the following link: http://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/AZ00.htm

or on

http://www.liv.ac.uk/healthsciences/

Applications are made directly to the university and not via UCAS. The course has guaranteed progression onto the first year of the five year medicine degree at Liverpool provided you pass the year with 70%.

The course is run in collaboration with Carmel College a local FE college.

The contact address at Carmel College is:

email: degree@carmel.ac.uk

I am currently a student on the programme and thought it would be nice if more people knew about this great opportunity.

Regards,

Alex

PS I think you can still apply for 2008/2009 entry.

#7 Alex01, Mar 4, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  8. Muffin2

Muffin2 New Member

you have to be 21 to go to carmel college, i applied and got rejected cos i was 18 at the time.
    however there does seem to be a bit of a margin on that. if your 18 and have no a levels in science subjects, there is a small chance you will get in, my friend from school did.

she tells me the course is very intense as they cram A level bio, chem and maths into one year. but its wwell worth the hard work, i'd have gone if i could have.

also to Hirukshi. i would still go for it anyway. i got into bradford clin sci which is supposed to be for w.yorkshire people only and i'm originally from liverpool.

9. RSkyner

RSkyner New Member

haha. i've got to cram a level bio, chemistry, and maths into one year next year... at carmel... but not in the foundation course... just as an a level student :D because the college is shite and their teaching methods consist of putting an ascetate on an OHP and saying... copy that out. It's like that for me anyway... that may just be because my chemistry teacher for half the year was covering my old chemistry teachers maternity leave, and is leaving herself in september, and cba teaching us!!!!

10. Styler

Styler New Member

Alex01, when you say you are garunteed to get a tranfer to 1st year medicine on acquiring over 70% in the course, would this mean that an interview will not be required?

11. Alex01

Alex01 New Member

Sorry, I looked back at my post and I don't think I made this clear. It's a six year course. You are interviewed at the beginning, and if accepted it's for the whole course. All you have to do is pass every year with the required mark. It's just like a five year course only longer.

12. Styler

Styler New Member

Thanks for the reply alex01. Just to clarify, you have to be 21 or over to apply and from the north west?

13. topdoc

topdoc New Member

can som1 who is doing A levels can apply for it,keeping in mind tht i m mature student

14. Alex01

Alex01 New Member

Generally I think the course is aimed at mature students who do not have the right A-levels to apply directly to 4/5 year programme. However, if I were you I would simply enquire and find out what they say. I don't see why you couldn't apply if you're in the midst of doing A-Levels, after all you would just be hedging your bets.

15. NickJM08

NickJM08 New Member

Is this course for English Students only? I am a Scottish Student looking into a route to medicine currently studying an access to health and biological sciences at college as well as higher human biology.

thanks

nick

16. Alex01

Alex01 New Member

The course is open to all UK students as far as I know. As a matter of fact I think there has been a Scottish student in the last few years. I don't know anything about funding issues though. I know from reading this forum there are some issues around fees for Scottish students studying at English unis as opposed to Scottish students at Scottish unis, but these would be the same as at any other uni in England. Better ask a Scot with knowledge about the fees/funding thing. ;)

17. DocWho

DocWho New Member

Hi Alex01 wander if you can answer some further questions about this course. When do they interview for it, how long is the interview, what sort of questions can you expect.

Thank you for your help

18. Alex01

Alex01 New Member

Hi DocWho

If you look further back in the thread, I have posted a link for the course. The information on the university website would probably provide answers to most of your questions. The interview questions and style were exactly the same as those for the five year liverpool MBChB course.

Alex

19. DocWho

DocWho New Member

Hi Alex01,

Thanks for your advice
    Questions i think may ask are below:
    why medicine?
    why liverpool?
    why pbl??
    u a leader or a follower???
    teamwork and examples wen u have acted as a teamplayer.
    advantages and disadvantages of pbl.
    prepare an ethical issue
    be prepared to talk about ur personal statement and work experience and more importantly what u learnt from it about the role of a doctor and other health professionals if it wasn't in a hospital.
    random question "wht is ur biggest achievement in life?".
    Is there anything i have missed out?
    Cheers

20. shahrukh

shahrukh New Member

hey thnx for that i was thinking if i can do a foundation year at bradford university and then get into the first year of Medicine at Leeds university?