Aberdeen 2009

artemida65

Congratulations atemida65!

What kind of questions were you asked? Was the interview formal or informal? :)
Pretty generic ones - why medicine, why aberdeen etc. Nothing too hard. The interview was fairly formal, but the interviewers were very nice and tried to put you at ease.

fiction

Pretty generic ones - why medicine, why aberdeen etc. Nothing too hard. The interview was fairly formal, but the interviewers were very nice and tried to put you at ease.
mmm i see, what sort of ethic question were you given, any tips on how someone can prepare for these? :)

Ah thats nice of them! How many were there in a panel?

Sorry for all the questions, im just a little worried.

fiction

First year is pretty easy timetable wise. You will never get 2 lectures in a row. At most you will get 3 lectures a day. You get anatomy 3 times a week in 2 hour session and Wednesday is on campus getting lectures with the odd tutorial thrown in. From November onwards tuesday morning is for the community course

I can't remember much more than that so I am sure Tess (i object to using your full username! will tell you more)
Thank you Keeno!

I can see the objection :D

When do you start seeing GP's and observing them? Can you explain a bit more on the community course :)

artemida65

mmm i see, what sort of ethic question were you given, any tips on how someone can prepare for these? :)

Ah thats nice of them! How many were there in a panel?

Sorry for all the questions, im just a little worried.
I wasn't asked any ethics questions, appart from "what do you do if a team member isn't pulling their weight?".

There were 2 on the panel.

Frank E

@Scotty...thank you :)

@jon...its not enough but its kinda good too. I think once you reach my age, the whole 'practicing' element kinda goes away. I still gotta read up on a couple of things, but I am way more worried about all these assignments that are due in...due in imminently. I absolutely love Aberdeen though, I think I would give my left leg to get in there. Right leg to get into King's.
Aitch, age just really isn't an issue unless you make it one. There used to be an upper bound on age ... I think it was 30 or 32 ... as the profession wanted return on their investment into a student but that is no more.

Thinking has generally changed though due to longer life expectancy and the recognition of the talents and qualities of people in third age and those who actually don't want to retire because they love the work they do.

I know people in medical school (as well as law; management; engineering school) in their 40s and I know people over 40 just entering the application process for med school. Turning 40 was probably a kick up the ass for them a catalyst to look at their situation, their position in society and

A previous GP entered medical school I think in his late thirties and i think he was all the better a GP for not coming from a traditional middle class, parents expecting him to go to med school etc background.

Just look at yourself as not being older, just more experienced at being young! :D

Keeno

Thank you Keeno!

I can see the objection :D

When do you start seeing GP's and observing them? Can you explain a bit more on the community course :)
Well as I said the community course starts in November of 1st year. In 1st year you have 2 tutors, a university based tutor and a community based tutor (GP). With each tutor you get 4 tutorials. You also get 2 family visits to a visit a Family with a baby, The tutorials are generally a bit dull but you go over the basics such as defining health, defining illness, exploring the socio-economic factors surrounding health inequalities etc.

Aside from the family visit their is no patient contact in the community course. We did get to interview a patient when we were with our University based tutor at Cornhill he was awesome though :)

The community course is assessed on a poster presentation on a topic your group chooses from a preset list and an exam in May.

In 2nd year it continues but at the GP only and it is to do with defining disability and how it affects patients.

Kensei

Re: age - we have one person over 40, few people over 30, many more getting close to this age. One social sciences lecturer with a PhD and an astronaut ;) - there are many of us who would be able to live successful lives without a MBChB, they just decided this is what they want to do, and they're willing to sacrifice (some) family time and endure lots of stress in the process..

In first semester we usually had 21-22 hours of classes (lectures+anatomy+tutorials) per week, I presume this will continue in this semester until Easter. Just like Keeno said:
max 3 lectures a day, never two in na row
3 x 2hr anatomy sessions
2hr tutorials on Fridays
1 hr of problem solving (work in multiple small groups with minimal assistance from tutors) on Wednesdays
1-2 hours of Community Course on Tuesdays, starting in November.

This really hasn't changed in second semester, although I must admit Systems II is taught in a more diverse/variable way than any part of the Systems I.

In the end I wouldn't pay too much attention to our weekly timetable - yours is bound to be different content-wise (due to the fully revised curriculum you're all supposed to get).

Hope this helps a bit :)
Kensei

Last edited:

med_lion

Hey, i had my interview yesterday and it didn't go quite well. I stuttered quite a bit, was quite nervous at the beginning and they had a completely different layout for the interview. I had one good cop and 1 bad cop for my interview (both males). Started by clarifiying a few things on my PS and then told me that they wil ask me why abdn and why med afterwards. i felt as though i could have developed more on the WHy Med question because i gave a personal reason why and i should have mentioned other stuff.

One of them did laugh when i mentioned i will make their cricket team a legend lol as he was into cricket and told me their team wasn;t really that good lol.

Also, as soon i went into the room, they told me that this year they will INTERVIEW EVERYONE. Whether he literally meant it or whether he meanth everyone that meets the requirements i don;t know.

Like i said, it could of gone better for me - i should have developed more on my answers, but fingers crossed eh ? :p

They said i wil hear until possibly up to end of March.

They don't ask any ethical/ NHS stuff as he said they just wanna get to know me more etc. But i was asked a question regarding what i would spend money on in healthcare.

Hope this helps.

fiction

Hey, i had my interview yesterday and it didn't go quite well. I stuttered quite a bit, was quite nervous at the beginning and they had a completely different layout for the interview. I had one good cop and 1 bad cop for my interview (both males). Started by clarifiying a few things on my PS and then told me that they wil ask me why abdn and why med afterwards. i felt as though i could have developed more on the WHy Med question because i gave a personal reason why and i should have mentioned other stuff.

One of them did laugh when i mentioned i will make their cricket team a legend lol as he was into cricket and told me their team wasn;t really that good lol.

Also, as soon i went into the room, they told me that this year they will INTERVIEW EVERYONE. Whether he literally meant it or whether he meanth everyone that meets the requirements i don;t know.

Like i said, it could of gone better for me - i should have developed more on my answers, but fingers crossed eh ? :p

They said i wil hear until possibly up to end of March.

They don't ask any ethical/ NHS stuff as he said they just wanna get to know me more etc. But i was asked a question regarding what i would spend money on in healthcare.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot Med_lion that was helpful.. wow i sure hope they do interview everyone.

What kind of things did he ask about your PS? if u dont mind... :)

med_lion

well he asked me lots of stuff about it - its just that i didnt elabvorate as much as i should have :(

i talked about this charity where i volunteered at and they also offered complementary therapies...he asked my views and i said argued both sides and said im against it (i knew they were against it aswell).

They asked me about the coronary angioplasty i observed. They said "so you was in the op theatre" and i said yes and they said how far was i and i said i was 2 metres away. why they aske di dont know lol.

med_lion

2 men...they mentioned only their first names when i walked in and shook their hands. They didn;t seem to be doctors - probably just staff, dunno.

nicnac-87

hey,
is anyone going to an interview on the 18th feb?
I was wondering for those of you who are, any ideas where we are supposed to go for the tour at 1230?
It doesnt say on my interview letter and I havent had any further letters from aberdeen.
I might just be really daft here!!

Kensei

Hey nicnac - the tour usually starts when a 3rd or 4th year student 'collects' you all from the cafeteria (which is the official waiting area for the interviews, being just around the corner from the interview room). That was the case a year ago when I had my moments of terror in the polwarth building ;-) Obviously, u can just ask someone in the college office or at the reception to make sure u're in the same situation.

nicnac-87

Thanks guys,
i had a feeling I was just to go to the Polwarth building.
My interview isn't until after the tour, wish it was the other way about haha
Best of luck to anyone else going up on wed for their interview.
might get chatting to a few of you.

Frank E

If your interview is after the tour it might stimulate some questions and discussion topics for the interview. Can't be a bad thing.