aberdeen 2008...

wannadomedicine

no its not its just re-structuring the current content, instead of splitting up the systems teaching into systems in health and systems in disease theyre just gonna take each system in turn and do the whole lot, health, disease, histology, radiology, anything thats involved etc - it sounds much much better
but no it will still remain traditional systems based teaching rather than pbl! Aberdeen will burn to the ground before Pbl! lol

wannadomedicine

Im just realising now we've applied to pretty much all the same medical schools but one - I actually considered Leeds too! lol
Congrats on the Newcastle interview : Im still waiting to be allocated and wont hear anything about interview/rejection until then!

wannadomedicine

Im not adverse to the idea of PBL though, completing a BSc has highlighted that I have quite well established self-directed learning techniques and discipline! I think QMUL have some PBL. I enjoy researching topics of interest, reading papers I want to read, rather than everything being presented in lectures. I guess theres not much scope in Medicine for something like that, at least not for learning off basic facts - who knows.

Looking back im so glad I didnt get the grades first time round: I've learned a lot about the world, myself, and people in general - gadz im 20 and i sound like i'm someones grandfather - I guess I have a lot more grey hair than I did when I moved here too!

You got a name, or were your parents feeling particularly nasty the day they called you Munarix? lol.

Kookaburra

I'm kind of on the fence with PBL...I think it's going to be difficult if I get into somewhere that does it (I've applied to PMS lol...lots there!) And it comes with risks, like not knowing how much you have to learn, and being so dependent on other members of the group. But they're really important skills to learn as a doctor. It's basically a life-time of self-directed learning and working well as a team! so we have to learn sometime.

That's why I like the course at Aberdeen... It's got a fair amount of self-directed stuff, without leaving you completely independent (and helpless!) It's really well integrated all round I think, like with patient contact...I think you have a community session weekly from year one, right? so you have people contact, but youre not having to do anything really until year 2...i think that's how it works anyway...

Aaronface

Hey guys I just wanted to say I had my interview for Aberdeen today. The interviewers (two of them, a male GP and a female consultant) were surprisingly nice and it was quite informal. They went through my personal statement, asking me a lot about my work experience and voluntary work, the realities of working in the NHS and why I chose Aberdeen in particular but thankfully there were no evil A-level topic-related questions.

Today was only the second day of interviews and they'll be continuing until the end of March, so stay optimistic everyone!

wannadomedicine

Hey Aaronface - Glad your interview went well. A few of the Aberdeen Undergrads have had interviews on the 21st as well but the rest of us havent heard anything just yet - but there is plenty of time.
Nae Mind!

Kookaburra

Hope it went well Aaronface! I feel like I'm insulting you calling you that...I'm actually really worried about being asked 'why aberdeen?'. I'm doing defferred entry so I'll be starting the new course in 2009 if i get a place, which means the course structure that made me apply isn't what im going to be doing! So i can hardly talk about how much a fell in love with their course...although i do still really like the new course and how they've integrated it etc...and the city generally...and the friendly atmosphere that seems to surround the place...maybe it's not such a problem after all? Thoughts welcome!

Eilidh McIntyre

Hey, i'm really late in joining this thread but i thought i'd say i'm applying to Aberdeen as well. I'm applying as an undergraduate and i'm from scotland. I haven't heard a thing yet! The waiting is horrible... :S Well done to those with interviews, hope it goes/went well.

Hoofs

Does anyone know how they organise the interviews? Like if they are alphabetical or based on how much they liked your application? Aberdeen and Glasgow seem to be the two Scottish universities that have begun most interviews and alot of people seem to have an interview for one and not the other? I know I should be patient but I'm soooo not! Im starting to worry!

asklepios

I'm guessing it's not alphabetical, as my name starts with 'A' and I've not been invited. I'm pretty sure I would at least qualify for an interview. If not, I'm so screwed.

*pink*

hiya!

I have an interview for aberdeen. Im gonna start preparing for it soon however im a bit confused because of the changes to the course. I was planning on just reading through the prospectus to find out more about the course at aberdeen, is there any point in doing that if the course is changing? Can someone tell me what the changes are gonna be? Are they major changes or just some little ones?

Thank you!!!!
xxxxxxx

Keeno

hiya!

I have an interview for aberdeen. Im gonna start preparing for it soon however im a bit confused because of the changes to the course. I was planning on just reading through the prospectus to find out more about the course at aberdeen, is there any point in doing that if the course is changing? Can someone tell me what the changes are gonna be? Are they major changes or just some little ones?
Don't read too much into the interviews. Am fairly certain they are random. However judging my best friends experience last year they do seem to like interviewing the graduates at roughly the same time ( which was about the middle of January last year )

If you are applying 08 entry the course changes don't apply to you as far as I am aware. The changes are mainly due to the anatomy teaching moving from Marischal to Foresterhill. Ideas banded about include the merging of phases I and II and the elective being move from the end of 5th year ( phase IV ) to 3rd year ( the end of Phase II ). With any luck the course will be better arranged to so that you actually do the anatomy at the same time as the system for all systems instead of just a few. Although having said that it was only really for the first 4 or 5 weeks that we did the anatomy in advance of the system ( ie with anatomy of the spine and upper limb, the lower limb anatomy correlated to the lectures on the musculoskelatal system.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

*pink*

hi keen, thanks for the reply!

So the teaching style will still be a mixture of lextures, seminars and self directed study? Do you know when the changes will take place? Last ques lol - Is there any plans to build new buildings for the medcine course at the uni (i mean will there be enough space for anatomy at the current building)?

Yeh all the changes you mentioned will make the course so much better!

thanks! xxxxxx

p.s. What are teh interviews like at aberdeen?

Ixistant

at the open day, we were told that they're going to be building a brand new building for medical students. Although I don;t think that will be ready until 2009/2010 for the new course.

Keeno

hi keen, thanks for the reply!

So the teaching style will still be a mixture of lextures, seminars and self directed study? Do you know when the changes will take place? Last ques lol - Is there any plans to build new buildings for the medcine course at the uni (i mean will there be enough space for anatomy at the current building)?

Yeh all the changes you mentioned will make the course so much better!

thanks! xxxxxx

p.s. What are teh interviews like at aberdeen?
There is really not that much self study to be honest. It is mainly to fill the gaps in your knowledge if something that was in the learning objectives has been missed out. At the start of the year you are given a green book for all subjects that has summaries of the content of lectures and also learning objectives for them. There are tutorials and problem solving sessions where you are given a set of questions and have to prepare answers then you go over these either with one tutor in the case of tutorials or with problem solving sessions there are 5 or six wandering about the room for the duration. However it is half the year at any time in these sessions.

Yes... there are a lot of lectures, we have had over 100 so far. The lecture notes are generally of a high standard and some are perfectly orientated for the learning objectives so require little effort whereas some force you to make your own notes.

The only thing that is mostly self directed is anatomy. Bar half an hour sessions once a week on radiology or surface anatomy the onus is very much upon you to get around the labs and ask questions if you have any.

I think the building of the new clinical skills centre is called the Matthew Hay Project... so expect it to be the Matthew Hay building... :) basically the current clinical skills centre is a bit shoddy and it is to replace that as well as house the new anatomy department. I think we were told it would be ready at the start of 3rd year so around October 2009 seems about right.

As for interviews.... i have to leave to go to a lecture now.... expect an edit later.