2013 GEM Applicants

Discussion in 'Swansea Medical School' started by sjennings, Aug 21, 2012.

1. sjennings

sjennings New Member

A thread for all those applying this year for 2013 entry. Hopefully 13 will be a lucky number! ;)

2. Dr_Scully

Dr_Scully New Member

Right here!

3. katiejane1

katiejane1 New Member

Hi i'm applying

got a 1st BMEDSCI from uni of brum and 66 gamsat

working as a auxiliary nurse at the mo

also Notts, brum and liverpool/warwick depending on ukcat :)

4. sjennings

sjennings New Member

Hi! I just graduated from Swansea with a 2:1 BSc Medical Sciences and Humanities. Will be sitting gamsat next month. My main choice is Swansea but I may apply to sgul also. I'm a little disappointed that Swansea has changed the interview format this year but hey ho, it's still my first choice by far. :)

5. Olly90

Olly90 New Member

What's changed about the format of the interview? I've just been on their website and can't find out how it has changed? Thanks :)

6. sjennings

sjennings New Member

At the open day they said this year they are moving from the traditional interview toward the multiple mini interviews. This is a real shame, all current students I've managed to speak to felt that applying and accepting a place at Swansea was swayed by the fact they had traditional style interview. They also said it was the only interview where they felt they had the chance 'sell' themselves properly. Shame really.

7. kingdizzii

kingdizzii Member

MMI seem hot right now, my cousin had to go through those for dentistry. I've no idea how it works for medicine but it makes sense with dentistry, during the interview they asked her to do things like make a sculpture out of wire and what not, shows manual dexterity. She was being tested practically on things which would make her a good dentist so she was selling herself by showing the interviews what she can do, not just talking about it but there were stations for that as well. I'd assume it was the same case with MMI in medicine, doing things which sell yourself in terms of being a doctor but also having a chance to talk and sell yourself.

Would love opinions for those that have gone through both in terms of what they liked better.

8. sjennings

sjennings New Member

Yeah, MMI's are just the fashionable thing of the moment. I spoke to one of the 2nd yrs at Swansea med school who also interviewed for sgul. She said it was awful, they went from station to station and the people manning the stations were very frosty. They would not even smile let alone speak to candidates. Obviously a tactic. Apparently one station involved a number of items and a suitcase. The suitcase had to be packed but not all items would fit so you were obviously marked on your choices. The student I spoke to had offers from both snd she told me that after the interviews it was Swansea no question. Swansea is my first choice regardless of interview, I love the curriculum structure.

9. imxy89

imxy89 New Member

Guys, if you lack the Maths schore at gcse, but fulfil the rest of the criteriaw what are the chances

10. sjennings

sjennings New Member

Not sure. I didn't do well at maths GCSE but had a maths module at degree level so hope this will suffice. I wouldn't let it put you off. :)

11. Iceman10

Iceman10 Member

I've checked the Swansea entry requirements and it says:

How do they assess that?

#11 Iceman10, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  12. sjennings

sjennings New Member

I'm guessing proficiency isn't necessarily GCSE'S then? It's a very ambiguous term but I suppose it allows 'wiggle' room than arbitrary you must have this or that.

13. Iceman10

Iceman10 Member

Found it:

I'm lucky I have BC at GCSE but surely if you've managed to obtain a decent GAMSAT score and have a 2:1 degree your English and maths should be up to scratch?

Code:
    http://www.swan.ac.uk/medicine/gemedicine/howdoiapply/caniapply/

14. sjennings

sjennings New Member

Yes that's what a I thought. I came to the conclusion that a couple of modules and degree level maths and physics is equivalent.

Used to be your first degree only. I believe its changed now and any degree with 2:1 or above is considered.

15. Iceman10

Iceman10 Member

I think you're right for those without CC at GCSE, they could cover the maths and English requirement through their degree.

I think the first degree thing was there last year, I asked them about it and they said it would be the most recent that counted. I will be applying with my second degree for 2014 entry. They haven't mentioned anything about interview style or what it entails though.

16. sjennings

sjennings New Member

At the open day they just said the interviews will now be mmi's.

17. sa119

sa119 New Member

The result from your most recent degree has counted since at least 2008. I applied in the 2007/2008 application cycle and went on to graduate from Swansea with a 2:1 (after getting a 2:2 in my first degree).

I'm even more grateful Swansea offered me a place this year now they're changing the interview format to MMIs. One of the many reasons I applied was because the interview format was traditional without being suffocating.

18. sjennings

sjennings New Member

Anybody sit gamsat this time around? If so, what did you think? :)

19. renlok

renlok New Member

Yeah I sat it didn't think it was that bad I think its way overhyped as too how hard it is, although I dont have the results so Ill probably find out i did abysmally :)

I dont have a C in english GCSE but I have an equivalent, is everyone putting all their qualifications as far back as gcses? I was just going to put my degree and my a-levels

#19 renlok, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  20. Kohl

Kohl New Member

Best of luck everyone! :)