Votes: 22 23.9%
  • 700-749

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • 750-799

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • 800+!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Having taken the test yesterday I am feeling quite gutted with my 665 average score (baring in mind I was going for the 4 yr grad entry option). Think this has possibly missed the cutoffs for most of the schools I was going for.

I thought I'd start a thread off for people to share their scores to see how we did in comparison. I don't know anyone applying so there's no one to talk about it with!
Just wondering how people found the test in general and the different sections. I thought most of it was quite hard, with the exception of maths which was a lot more straightforward than the practice questions.

Look forward to hearing what everyone has to say :)

MrMonkey

I think there's another thread, but now that people will actually be sitting them I guess this one should be more just scores instead of people talking about the test.

VR - 740, QR - 730, AR - 630, DA - 670, average 692.5.

I wasn't happy with it, but the AR section is a joke, that's a section that I feel you can't practice for, I was disappointed with my scores all around but I did hardly any revision, so if I don't get in this year I will be trying a lot harder next year I feel.

Snap score with the AR! Yep I completely messed up the verbal, I felt like none of the info was getting in my head, but I did so well in practice and same for the codes. Your score is pretty good though! I think mainly they are looking for over 680 overall so you should be alright :)

doctork2

Hi, snakefisch

I don't think you should worry that much... Although I'm not going for a GEP (since I'm in grade 11) but going for the 5-yr programme, I think you still have hope with 665... I thought most medschools look at the total score (i.e. 2400) that combines all 4 sections? :S

Boogles

When i went to an openday recently we were told cutoff varies from year to year. so if most people are getting lower scores then the cut-off mark will be lower. so if most pple that apply to eg KCL. have 600 you will be ok. I think you have a very good chance.
Having taken the test yesterday I am feeling quite gutted with my 665 average score (baring in mind I was going for the 4 yr grad entry option). Think this has possibly missed the cutoffs for most of the schools I was going for.

I thought I'd start a thread off for people to share their scores to see how we did in comparison. I don't know anyone applying so there's no one to talk about it with!
Just wondering how people found the test in general and the different sections. I thought most of it was quite hard, with the exception of maths which was a lot more straightforward than the practice questions.

Look forward to hearing what everyone has to say :)

Thank Kaodeve. Wow hope this is right!
" The cut-off for 2010 entry was the UKCAT score of 665, and roughly 635 for 2011 entry."

kaodeve

Thank Kaodeve. Wow hope this is right!
" The cut-off for 2010 entry was the UKCAT score of 665, and roughly 635 for 2011 entry."
cut-off's vary year on year and depend on who applies where. Try and apply to four where there is a good chance of interview and avoid those that will bin your application right away due to UKCAT. Are you totally determined to stay in London?

Hmm pretty much. It's not so much that I want to but more that I have to. I own a flat here and my partner works full time making it quite difficult to study further afield. What were you going to suggest?
I think I'll have to remove King's from my choices. I would consider the 5 yr but there's no way I can afford this without a fee loan!

MrMonkey

I think you should make sure your PS is great, I'm sure that some Unis will hold each with similar weight, so if you feel your UKCAT score isn't great or is going to put you borderline, just make sure your PS pushes you back over and shows that you'll still be a great candidate :) I know how you're feeling though because I'm worrying about my score as well, I think everyone does, especially when you see people who have averaged 750+ and then when you see someone who's got 850+ you just think there's no hope at all.

kaodeve

Think might be worth a punt to keep KCL in. What you going to replace it with if you sticking to London? Imperial? Oxford?

Lots more info and discussion on TSR. Might help you decide.

MrMonkey

Seeing as you can't edit posts on here, this was meant to be part of that last post.

I'm in a similar situation to you about where I want to go, I want Warwick or Newcastle and really don't want to go anywhere else, I definitely can't go to London which I guess is the opposite of you. But I'm worried that the competition is going to be fierce for both GEPs and I don't have any back ups or anything. Worry worry worry, just want it to be the end of September so my application will be sent off and it's no longer in my hands. :p

brokenangel

Seeing as you can't edit posts on here, this was meant to be part of that last post.

I'm in a similar situation to you about where I want to go, I want Warwick or Newcastle and really don't want to go anywhere else, I definitely can't go to London which I guess is the opposite of you. But I'm worried that the competition is going to be fierce for both GEPs and I don't have any back ups or anything. Worry worry worry, just want it to be the end of September so my application will be sent off and it's no longer in my hands. :p
What about Southampton, NCL confuses the life out of me. Some people are saying less than 700 dont bother applying eeek

MrMonkey

What about Southampton, NCL confuses the life out of me. Some people are saying less than 700 dont bother applying eeek
Really? Wow, I got 692.5 average, maybe that'll be okay but that's worrying if you need more than 700. I didn't really think about Southampton mainly because it's right at the other end of the country, but I would consider it as more of a backup just in case. I've also heard some "bad" things about it, but again these could just be people's personal experiences.

doctork2

Really? Wow, I got 692.5 average, maybe that'll be okay but that's worrying if you need more than 700. I didn't really think about Southampton mainly because it's right at the other end of the country, but I would consider it as more of a backup just in case. I've also heard some "bad" things about it, but again these could just be people's personal experiences.
Hi, MrMonkey.

A friend of mine is currently in her 2nd year at Soton Med... She absolutely loves it! I guess it is true that the impressions all depends on people's personal experiences. It also depends on which universities you are comparing to one another... for example, if you are more attracted to Newcastle or Warwick, Soton will deem inferior compared to them.

But I did hear you're going to be in a "safe zone" if you score 700+, if you're applying to Newcastle or Warwick.

Cheers,
doctork2

Thanks for all your advice. It's very helpful.
I think I will still apply to QMUL as it was my top choice and I wasn't holding out much hope for KCL anyway.
I would love to apply to Imperial, but I can't as my first degree was geography and does not fulfill their ridiculous 6 checkbox requirements I think only a Biochemistry degree can fulfill.
I would love to apply UCL as well but they don't offer the GEP.
I heard something about the cutoff scores for Warwick like that as well. MrMonkey, it's probably best for you to call up the admissions office. I think there are better odds of getting in there though as there are a lot more places! However I wouldn't be too concerned as your score is so close to 700 anyway - I'm sure if you have a kick ass application you'll do just fine :)

MrMonkey

I heard Warwick needed a 2600 overall (650 Average, as long as nothing falls more than 1 SD below the average on any individual score) or something to get in to Warwick? I've got no idea about Newcastle though and I'll still be applying, might as well take the chance lol.
I wasn't comparing the Unis themselves because I feel that regardless of where you do Medicine you get to be a Doctor and the end result is more what I want.
Anyone know what Southampton want for Graduate Entry?

Southampton say they automatically reject anyone in the bottom 25% from UKCAT. So think we're in with a chance!
They need A-level Chemistry to a C I think, or if you don't have that instead they allow AS Chem and AS Biology to grade E, but do accept any degree.

MrMonkey

I've not got any A Levels, I've got a BTEC in Applied Science and I worked in a Laboratory for a year, but I've got no idea if that'll be enough. That's one of the reasons why Warwick and Newcastle were my top 2 options because they both only look at your degree and UKCAT scores so it meant I didn't have to try and cram in an A Level that I probably know anyway in my 3rd year of my degree.