2010 Applicants/Interviews

teddybeckham

Where from?
I really do hope decisions don't lag on till March although from past year posts, that seems to be the case. :(
ME too!!!

yea, is it possible to like ask them to move forward the date of the interviews? lol

anyway, are internationals required to travel to aberdeen for interviews?

P.S. only 13 internationals... how many internationals do you reckon they will interview??

Entropy

ME too!!!

yea, is it possible to like ask them to move forward the date of the interviews? lol

anyway, are internationals required to travel to aberdeen for interviews?

P.S. only 13 internationals... how many internationals do you reckon they will interview??
No, internationals are not required to travel to Aberdeen for interviews.
From their Medicine for International Students prospectus:
International students who are currently living in the UK, may be asked to attend an interview, where the above attributes will be further explored and objectively scored. Other qualities will also be assessed, including understanding of issues, problem-solving, enthusiasm, communication skills and fluency in English.
If applicants are living overseas, it may be possible to meet with a representative of the University who may be able to interview candidates locally (we have representatives who travel regularly to Malaysia, India, Sri Lanka, Hong Kong and other countries). The details of such candidates will be forwarded on to the Representative, and applicants will be informed of the arrangements made for interview.
Should it not be possible to undertake an interview, the Admission Selectors will make an objective paper assessment of a student’s application.
I like this about Aberdeen particularly, not that I am scared of interviews. I'd much rather have one but the compulsion of it for international students (at some institutions) is scarier. What if I don't get the VISA in time? :confused:

I'm not sure how many they will interview, but competition's very very tough. So, yea, good luck.
Where are you from?
I'm applying from US since my secondary education is from here, but I'm originally from Pakistan.

teddybeckham

oh im from malaysia, nice meeting you! (virtually) so where do you think you will have your interview then???

and so did you use your SAT to apply??

Best of luck to you too~

Entropy

oh im from malaysia, nice meeting you! (virtually) so where do you think you will have your interview then???

and so did you use your SAT to apply??

Best of luck to you too~
Hey, who knows? We might meet up in reality real soon. :)
I don't know what's going to happen with the interview. If I get interviews at other places, then I'll probably just have to go to UK. So, then yea, will probably stop over at Aberdeen too. Otherwise, they possibly will have a Representative here.

Yep, I sent them my SAT scores. I don't know how they do it in Malaysia (and Malaysian students also have a separate prospectus I think). You should check it out if you haven't already. Here it is: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/documents/medicine_malay.pdf

LetoKynes

Where from?
I really do hope decisions don't lag on till March although from past year posts, that seems to be the case. :(
I'm from Malaysia as well like one of the other posters :p

Yeah I wouldn't want to wait so long :( If I get an offer it would help alot with motivation to do well in my Jan exams.. but then again I guess it would crush me if they rejected me :(

Kensei

ationals required to travel to aberdeen for interviews?

Hi teddybeckham,

If the statistics from 2008 still apply now, it's likely that there'll be approx 100-130 international students applying and approx 35 will get interviewed (however, as Entropy mentioned,a few of those 35 applicants may avoid the interview if it's not possible for 'em to make suitable travel arrangements in time)

teddybeckham

ooooo thanks kensei, and hey!!! we could potentially be your juniors!! lol

and hey letokynes what are u doing rite now?

to entropy, tht prospectus is for more catered to the IMU students who get to choose to transfer to certain med schools in UK, aussie or other countries in their clinical years after studying preclinical stuff in malaysia. but... meh. not for me.
and best of luck to you too!!

although i still havnt received the acknowledgement kind of thing from any of the uni i applied to. just to make sure again, they will send it via post right? like you'll receive real papers? not email right?

and sorry one more question to kensei, may i know how did you get the stats??? especially that concerning the international students, because i can see stats for the applications, applications per place kind of thing, but not for internationals tho. thanks!

[offtopic] P.S. Chris says "The evil monkey is hiding in my closet.." everyone laughs. and.... there's the FINGER....

Last edited:

LetoKynes

Im doing my A-Levels right now :)

Not all of the universities will send acknowledgements so don't worry. So far I only got a postcard from Southampton and an e-mail from Edinburgh :p

Entropy

35, huh. That doesn't sound too bad. Encouraging even.

@teddy - Well, just putting it out there for you. :) I got an email from Aberdeen actually, but I had emailed them before about my eligibility to apply and they just told me "Thank you for the info." So, I guess that's not really an acknowledgment, but it's something.

Kensei

ooooo thanks kensei, and hey!!! we could potentially be your juniors!! lol
that's true, I never thought about this before... our year might have some say in how you guys are taught as FY1 and FY2s :)

and sorry one more question to kensei, may i know how did you get the stats??? especially that concerning the international students, because i can see stats for the applications, applications per place kind of thing, but not for internationals tho. thanks!

[offtopic] P.S. Chris says "The evil monkey is hiding in my closet.." everyone laughs. and.... there's the FINGER....
The story of the evil monkey is not for those of feeble spirit:
Evil Monkey's story ;)

As for your question - I didn't get the stats for international students specifically, I just used the overall statistics which were given on this webpage for 2008 entry:
Link

However, the figures were updated recently and they're much different for 2009 freshers.

They have 64 graduates in the class of 175, while we had 20- or 30-ish.
Back in 2008, there were 8 applicants per place on the course in general, and 10 graduate applicants competing for each 'grad' place. This year, there were 8 applicants per place BUT as there were more places for graduates, the competition between grads wasn't as fierce (3.6 person per place).

(I hope this makes sense ;P )

- so, to arrive at the number 100 for international applicants, I simply multiplied the number of places on the course allocated to international students (13) by the competition level amongst applicants (8 applications per place). I know this isn't a replacement for factual figures, but these were never published so I reckon my estimation is as good as it gets ;)

sara7000

hey guys im also an international applicant although i have been living in glasgow for three years lol i really want a place SOMEWHERE like all of us good luck