09 Freshers!

keiran91

Hi Guys! Just thought I'd start a new thread for all the people who have firmly accepted Aberdeen for september 09?

Just wondering where everyone is from and how they're feeling about the move to med school etc...?

Anyone received the application forms for accommodation yet because it says in the prospectus and on the website that you'll get them once you've firmly accepted your offer and yet a month later I'm still waiting:( impatient i know haha!

Anybody else straight from school or any graduates or that?

Looking forward to reading replies!

Aitch

Im hoping to start in 2009, grades permitting. Going to start looking for somewhere to live once my results are out in July. I am looking forward to it but right now there is a great sense of depression due to revision turning ugly... =(

keiran91

ahhhh nice one, i'm sure there will be a fair few graduates though? what degree is it your doing just now? studying in aberdeen just now?

Aitch

Nah I am not...I am in Yorkshire doing a life sciences degree! I was pretty surprised at myself earlier yknow... I was wondering why the hell I chose to stay in Yorkshire and not do a degree in Aberdeen. The place is amazing! I am a fan of the South too, but unfortunately, the word "finance" has decided to bite me in the arse.

So how ya doin?

GregS

Right, i'll give this a ping.

From Dunblane, and no, that doesn't mean i know Andy Murray, though, i guess it'd be pretty cool if i did.

Looking forward to starting and meeting new folk and stuff. Going straight from 6th year too.

Keiran, it says on the Abdn applicportal that accommodation forms will be sent out early May with certificate's of acceptance. Where you thinking of applying? I'm thinking somewhere in Hillhead, not entirely sure whereabouts in Hillhead but.

keiran91

Nah I am not...I am in Yorkshire doing a life sciences degree! I was pretty surprised at myself earlier yknow... I was wondering why the hell I chose to stay in Yorkshire and not do a degree in Aberdeen. The place is amazing! I am a fan of the South too, but unfortunately, the word "finance" has decided to bite me in the arse.

So how ya doin?
yeh see i've only ever been to aberdeen for football away days but the pubs seemed pretty good while i was there, always a plus! i'm not too bad thanks, you? conditional on a 2.1 i take it yeh?

Greg, don't worry about the andy murray thing it's just like anyone from without scotland and never having come up imagining we all walk about in kilts haha! yeh i emailed admissions and they said around mid may, it's a bit late compared to other unis but suppose everyones in the same boat so it wont affect out chances of getting the place we want i guess....

i was thinking about hillhead aswel but then crombie johnston is closer to the med school i think so not too sure. i'm getting a tour a week on monday around hillhead and that so i'm going to check things out then and ask if catered is any good and that.

i'm from dundee btw!

GregS

Haha, thats a fair point.

Been to Aberdeen for the football, that mean your a united fan? Stirling Albion fan myself, we're absolutely gash at the moment.

Aye, i think i'll have a pub on campus and more folk around over being closer to foresterhill if i'm being honest. I can always cycle or walk anyway from the halls, plus you'd hope there might be a bus that runs from Hillhead to near the hospital as well.

keiran91

Sure am mate, only team worth supporting in Dundee to be honest.

Yeh that's the same with me, and apparently there's a box you can tick on the application forms to ask to be put in a room with fellow medics? So you won't be on your own for the walk to foresterhill.... You going catered or taking the beans on toast route?

GregS

Ticking that box might come in useful come revision time i reckon.

Aye, can't go wrong with a bit of beans a la toast, so it'll be self catered halls for myself. Whatabout yourself?

keiran91

yeah that's the same with me i think, never leave the pub for the first half of the year then my room/library for the last couple of months:D

i was all set for going in to catered but then i heard it was similar to school meals which has put me right off. just need to wait and see what the porters say a week on monday i guess.

Aitch

Keiran...yup its a 2.1 offer! I actualy need to check my onlien portal too, the whole periodic check. Since my laptop decided to spontaneously combust, i am finding it difficult to navigte around internet. All my passwords need resetting cos my laptop did the remembering! Grrr!

keiran91

Awel I'm sure you'll be fine! Yeh I've been on the Aberdeen portal and there's nothing on it really haha? It just tells you all the stuff like you'll have to get a criminal record check and all the jabs and all sorts which i'm sure you knew already.:)

Catd2

Hi there!
I'm new to this as I just got accepted to Aberdeen 2 weeks ago!
I'm a graduate who has had a few years out so I'll definately be an oldie!
I'm really looking forward to starting but also a little scared....I'm sure it will be loads of fun though.
I've decided not to go for Uni accomodation and I'm hopfully going to buy a flat. So I'll be needing a flatemate at somepoint!
Ok, hope some more people post on here.

Cat x

Catd2

Hey,
Yeah I was over the moon about my offer. I've been celebrating ever since!

I'm looking into buying a flat with my Mum so hopefully be able to afford something a bit nicer than if it was me on my own. I'm going to start looking next week.

I'm originally from Aberdeen but did my undergrad in Psychology in Stirling. I then lived in Canada for a few years and have been living in Edinburgh since. I'm really looking forward to moving back and getting back into studying.

Where are you from?

Cat

Genevieve

Hey,

I'm originally from Aberdeen but did my undergrad in Psychology in Stirling. I then lived in Canada for a few years and have been living in Edinburgh since. I'm really looking forward to moving back and getting back into studying.

Where are you from?

Cat
I'm studying at Stirling Uni :D

Catd2

Hey,

I'm the same, I really can't wait to study again! I'm looking forward to getting timetables, reading lists and all the fun things that go with freshers week.

Do you know anyone in Aberdeen or anyone who is starting with us? I know a few medical students in different years but I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in our year.

Can't quite believe its all happening...and so soon!

Roll on september!

Aitch

Im starting in September iA...wooop! the only thing im worried about it navigating my way from place to place...